Shared calendars based on users instead of teams and adding timeline mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shared calendars based on users instead of teams and adding timeline mode

Is it possible to create a shared calendar for specific users instead of teams? There are many times when I need to see calendars for multiple users who do not share teams. Creating teams to fix the calendar would require constant work because there would need to be teams for every combination of users.

Similarly, the modes in shared calendars do not work the same way as the timeline and, unfortunately, the timeline is not available as a mode for shared calendars. For example, hidden events do not appear on shared timelines. Here is an example with a hidden event (the users are on the same team, but the hidden event does not have a team. TLM and SLM0 are attendees while TLM1 is not), which does not appear on the shared calendar.

Timeline:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-09-25 at 06.43.55.png
Views:	266
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	97873

Shared (week mode):

Name:	Screenshot 2023-09-25 at 06.44.04.png
Views:	113
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	97874

This presents a major problem for scheduling multiple users because you can't see their combined availability unless you use Timeline mode, which isn't customizable. We have too many users to list them all on one timeline, so the only way to work around this is to sync calendars with Outlook. Outlook allows you to view calendars side by side for individual users in any mode.

Outlook with individual calendars selected:

Name:	Outlook.png
Views:	166
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	97875

Espo's shared calendar in week mode (top) and timeline mode (bottom), the latter of which is not available in shared calendars:

Name:	Timeline vs shared.png
Views:	114
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	97876

However, it is obviously possible to customize the list of timeline users because it is available in the meeting modal:

Name:	Shared timeline.png
Views:	152
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	97877

If it is possible to create a shared timeline on a per-user basis, that would solve every issue with large organizations. Showing side-by-side events in the Day and Week modes would also be an extremely useful feature.

I spent the last few hours attempting to understand the code for the calendar, but I could not make heads or tails of how the timeline is instantiated and populated. If this functionality is not available and will not be added, I will pay someone to create an external application to enhance the calendar. The rest of the system is working well, but my organization is too large for the functionality offered of the timeline.

Comment

Well, the underlying library (fullcalendar.js) has the ability to natively handle some of the desired functionality regarding shared week and day-view calendars. Here is an example that shows users' calendars in 1-day and 4-day views. That is exactly what is needed for team scheduling. Espo would have to allow adding users instead of teams, but that is a much easier problem to solve. The issue is Espo uses the free version of fullcalendar.js and that particular piece of functionality requires the premium version. I would be more than happy to buy the premium version, but I do not know how to replace the library using a module. Frankly, I would pay 5x the cost of the fullcalendar.js license to get this one feature.

Regarding the shared timeline, the underlying library is vis-timeline.js. I would rather use the fullcalendar.js timeline, which comes with the premium license.

Edit: I figured out how to make an extension with a new calendar. I will be working on that for the next two weeks. It will include replacement views that solve at least one of the major issues in my first comment. I'll post again when there has been progress.
      Last edited by bandtank; 09-26-2023, 12:43 AM.

Comment

• item
        item commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi,
        i have not skill but here a little discussion some week ago : https://forum.espocrm.com/forum/deve...ation-possible

do you pull request your calendar or installable module ?

i will be happy.. i think not only me

• bandtank
        bandtank commented
        Editing a comment
        I plan to release an extension when I get the calendar update completed.
    Working...
    X