E-mail editor, Enter creates a new paragraph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-mail editor, Enter creates a new paragraph

In the e-mail editor in EspoCRM, hitting Enter is creating a new paragraph so there is a long space until the next row. Is there some way to change this? I think it is hard to make everyone hold Ctrl-button + Enter which seem to be the way on Safari on MacOS. It is quite counter intuitive as I know no other email client that works like this. Comparing to Word shift-enter would do the same thing, but again this is a word processor and not an e-mail client.

Maybe there is a setting to fix this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	159
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	96468Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	101
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	96469

Kind regards
    Jens

There's no settings as far as I know.

Paragraphs are great. Excessive usage of new lines (in HTML mode) in business emails makes them look like informal chat messages. Usage of new lines is justified only for limited number of cases, e.g. a multi-line address.

Comment

• yuri
      yuri commented
      Editing a comment
      The editor we use doesn't have a reliable way to switch it to the mode you would like to have (the word 'fix' here is not appropriate, as it's not a bug). I wish other email clients had the same behavior as we have. It would encourage writing emails in more formal style.

jensolsson.se

In Email Templates or PDF Templates:

- Enter - adds a paragraph (adds a <p></p> tag). You can check this by going into code mode </>.
    - Shift+Enter - moves to the next line (adds the <br> tag in code mode).
    - Ctrl+Enter - saves changes in the template.​
    Attached Files
    Last edited by victor; 08-15-2023, 11:13 AM.

Comment

I do think Shift+Enter to create <br> would make sense, but this is not the case on a mac. On a mac you hit Ctrl-Enter to add a <br> in this editor.
      Maybe that is the most problematic part, as if it would work as you write victor, it would be pretty much the same as in Word and could be understandable by most users.

Comment

• shalmaxb
        shalmaxb commented
        Editing a comment
        This behaviour as victor describes, is widely common in online editors, not only in Word. It is a Mac problem, that Apple made it this way as it is there.
        So, what you want is already so: understandable by most users.

I believe the editor works this way. When ENTER is pressed, the shortcut 'insert new paragraph' is called. When ENTER is pressed with some other key (shift, cmd or ctrl), the shortcut is not called. In a case the event is not intercepted by any Espo shortcut (like Ctrl+Enter), the default contenteditable behavior is processed.

Comment

Ctrl + Enter should save/send the form. Cmd + Enter should do the same on Mac. I don't have Mac at hand to try. Can someone confirm that Cmd + Enter from the editor saves the form rather than adds a line break?

Comment

• item
          item commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi Yuri,
          i confirm :
          demo espo
          catalina and last google chrome

Cmd+S : save the email to draft
          Cmd+Enter : save & send (email).

Cmd+Enter does indeed send the e-mail
        Shift + Enter or just Enter does the same, new paragtaph
        Ctrl+Enter adds a new line, not a new paragraph

I was testing in Safari, but I have now also tested in Chrome, where it works as intended.
        I wonder if it can be fixed for Safari ?

Comment

Working...
        X