Email Preview Pop-up Pane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Email Preview Pop-up Pane

It's really easy to see a list view of all sent and received emails linked to an entitly (e.g. contact) but to review this list when looking for particular email body content is time consuming.

When hovering over the subject field in the list view, it would be great if a reasonably large window could pop up automatically showing some of the email body content for the email under the mouse pointer. The existing pop up window seems to repeat the subject field contents and this does not help.

If the user clicks on the subject field they can then see the email body but, on returning to the email list, the focus has been lost and they have to remember which email they last drilled down into. This makes it difficlult when there are several emails in a thread, all with the same subject.

We have a rule, never show any popup on hover.

Comment

We need to come up with some solution that requires a mouse-click.

Comment

Maybe a three panel view for email same as other email client (clicking a view button like Kanban?)
        Or add a button (instead of it being in the dropdown) with the View Small Detail option

Comment

> Maybe a three panel view

Who will do it. I've been working too much last months. More than ever. I don't want to undertake such a big task in the next months. Needs some rest.

Comment

I had an idea of Shift + click opening a modal instead of following the link. But was not sure.

Comment

Thanks Yuri. I didn't know about your 'no popup' rule. Kharg's suggestion of a 3 panel view would be great but I appreciate that it's a big ask. Maybe for a future version ;-) Meantime your idea of shift click would be an improvement in my opinion if it's not too much extra work.

Comment

Ctrl + Middle mouse button click will open record links in a modal in the next version. There was a reason to choose this combination. Shift + click is supposed to open in a new window.

By doing a combo "ctrl + middle click => ctrl + space" it will show the edit view in modal.
                Last edited by yuri; 08-24-2022, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Kharg crmscot I've actually implemented the feature some time ago. I think you might find it useful, so I published it on my GitHub: https://github.com/mozkomor05/espocr...view-extension

I've thought about submiting PR, but I'd have to rewrite it, so I decided to create an extension instead. Feel free to use it.
                  Quickly view e-mails in a compact combined view. Contribute to mozkomor05/espocrm-email-preview-extension development by creating an account on GitHub.
                  Last edited by mozkomor; 08-24-2022, 07:59 PM.

Comment

• AgentT
                    AgentT commented
                    Editing a comment
                    This is great! Thanks!

• shalmaxb
                    shalmaxb commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I had a look in your github repository: congratulations! You are a talented young man, I feel so old now.

• jorzeszek
                    jorzeszek commented
                    Editing a comment
                    If I add this extension and upgrade to the next version of ESPO CRM, will the extension still work or do I have to reinstall it?

This is exactly what I was looking for. Very useful - thank you so much.

Only one question - would it be possible to also apply this extension in some way to the side panel / history / view list - emails window (e.g. from a contact or account record)? Not strictly necessary becasue a filter can be applied to the email view to narrow the search - e.g. if you're reviewing a conversation but it would be nice. Thanks again.

Comment

I am not sure where to put the email view without it being too overcrowded. Would it be worth reading two/three words per line?
                    If I need to read a conversation, I usually open the first email in a modal using the "View" row action and the arrow controls in the right top corner to swtich between the next emails.

Thank you all for the feedback and kind words.

Comment

I planned an implementation of the Asana like split view for all entity types (enablable like kanban view). It was more for tasks and project tasks though in fact it is similar to what email clients have. It will require more investigation and designing before proceeding.

Comment

• Kharg
                        Kharg commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I think it would be nice if it was implemented for all entities, as it could work as a replacement for the quickview to display records even faster, with one less mouse click, although this new view should implement a bottomPanel for detailSmall so that you can check the stream.

• yuri
                        yuri commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Side panels can be an issue with not wide-enough screens. Needs analyzing. A lot of technical issues to solve. Should we introduce a new record-view with its own buttons. We will be missing the top-right buttons as list-view buttons will be there.

• Kharg
                        Kharg commented
                        Editing a comment
                        yuri any chance to see this new view any time soon?

From Contact or Account record / history / View List - Emails: The resulting window on the right side of the screen needs to be a bit wider and configured with similar functionality to mozkomor's excellent extension. Just my opinion though!

Comment

• yuri
                        yuri commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Won't be done. It won't work on non-wide screens. Feel free to make an extension.

Having modals of different width would be a step toward a crap software.
                        Last edited by yuri; 08-31-2022, 08:24 PM.

• yuri
                        yuri commented
                        Editing a comment
                        In the future we will have the related records list view displayed on a separate page. There will be enough space.

• crmscot
                        crmscot commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks yuri - sounds good to me.

Originally posted by mozkomor View Post
                      Kharg crmscot I've actually implemented the feature some time ago. I think you might find it useful, so I published it on my GitHub: https://github.com/mozkomor05/espocr...view-extension

I've thought about submiting PR, but I'd have to rewrite it, so I decided to create an extension instead. Feel free to use it.
                      Hi mozkomor,

Version 7.3 now include a "Full Record" option, is it possible for you to support this new view/list?

How to get there is as follow:
                      Contact > (Choose a record) > Side Panel > ... > View List Email > Full Form

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	9.9 KB ID:	87051
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	5.0 KB ID:	87052

Comment

Working...
                    X