Using ChatGPT to write custom extensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using ChatGPT to write custom extensions

Hello, I've experimented with using ChatGPT to write custom code for EspoCRM. Had some success with small customizations (like changing layout options, etc.) but not with custom extensions. Has anyone had success with ChatGPT or another AI coding tool? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'm very interest as well. What have you done or use it for?

I think it a long future away to be able to use it to create Custom Extension though, you will still need coding skill!

Currently I'm using it for 2 purpose with EspoCRM, fix up my JSON error (missing comma here and there, need to add a few closing }, where it the ; ).

Secondly I use it to write RegEX, regular expression for me. Unfortunately even after writing it, I still fail some part and I have no clue what the all these symbol mean. Anyway with it I can expand my formula to a higher level.

But this is where it stop for me, I don't know what else I can "ask" it to do even more. And that why this forum is still Home.

Comment

I think you nailed it when you said, "you still need coding skill!" I don't but I'm learning. So far, I've tried using Chat GPT for:

-Finding open source CRM options (that's how I found EspoCRM which is awesome!)

-Making basic display changes to records.

-Writing custom extensions. None has worked so far. That's OK though. I think it's on the right track and I'm probably going to use these as starting points when I hire a custom developer. Kind of like writing the blueprints for a building design and then hiring a structural engineer to make it into something that is actually safe and buildable.

Yesterday I started asking ChatGPT to read sections of the EspoCRM documentation first by cutting and pasting specific sections before asking questions (Making extension package - EspoCRM Documentation​) Then I ask it to use this as a guide to writing the code and creating step by step instructions to install. I'm doing this because Chat GPT is limited to 2021 data. This still isn't working but I feel I'm getting closer.

Some other non-coding tasks I've had more success with:

-Writing user guides and blog articles for my website. You can draft the first aticle yourself and ask it to re-write in the style of a famous author, which is pretty cool.

-Helping me find other software solutions.

-Asking "is this possible" questions. Sometimes I have an idea of what I'd like to do (or a feature I'd like to develop) and just want to know if it is even possible with an open source solution like EspoCRM. Here, Chat GPT serves as your expert research assistant. I wasted so much time trying out different database and CRM platforms (like airbase, Caspio, etc.).

Comment

• espcrm
        espcrm commented
        Editing a comment
        Getting late for me, but will read this! I love this idea here:

"cutting and pasting specific sections before asking questions"

That's a great idea if beginners then post an "extension" messed up with ChatGPT here in the forum and others who can develop software, then should correct such garbage.

ChatGPT can be used well to get a framework of about 70-80% (if you formulate exactly what you want, and you should have an idea for that too)

In my opinion, learning topics with ChatGPT is very difficult if you are not yet familiar with the topic. Sometimes ChatGPT just lies, too.​

Comment

I think it about time I start using an avatar on EspoCRM. But I can't think of anything relevant and decide to play with AI. Here is the result

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	421
Size:	241.6 KB
ID:	94008

I think I'll play with it a little bit and just pick one.

Comment

<--- (avatar) Meet 'ESPCRM" AI

Comment

Great article on AI and the potential to help us think again. Imagine a world where most of the technical challenges we spend so much time working through (like we do on this forum) can be outsourced (maybe not completely but mostly) to AI. Imagine spending more time focusing on your business, new ideas and your life. Opinion What might ChatGPT do for humanity? The ancient Greeks offer a clue. (washingtonpost.com)

Comment

I'm sure if you use ChatGPT to write custom extensions, the success rate will be extremely high

Comment

Working...
              X