Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New installation on localhost (using MAMP on Mac), can't connect to IMAP group email

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New installation on localhost (using MAMP on Mac), can't connect to IMAP group email

Hi!

I'm new to EspoCRM, I'm just trying out the self hosted version now on my local machine (a Mac, I'm using MAMP) in hopes of deploying it for my users.

The installation and customizations are going well, but when I try to setup a Group Email Account (IMAP, SSL) and test the connection, it just refuses to connect. I get:

Error 500: cannot connect to host ; error = fsockopen(): unable to connect to ssl://mail.rollergirl.ca:993 (Unknown error) (errno = 0 )

The error logs are of no help:

Using no encryption:
    [2021-06-16 23:40:40] ERROR: (0) cannot login, user or password wrong; POST /InboundEmail/action/testConnection; line: 218, file: /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/espo/vendor/laminas/laminas-mail/src/Storage/Imap.php [] []

SSL:
    [2021-06-16 23:40:44] ERROR: (0) cannot connect to host ; error = fsockopen(): unable to connect to ssl://mail.rollergirl.ca:993 (Unknown error) (errno = 0 ); POST /InboundEmail/action/testConnection; line: 94, file: /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/espo/vendor/laminas/laminas-mail/src/Protocol/Imap.php [] []

TLS:
    [2021-06-16 23:41:48] ERROR: (0) cannot read - connection closed?; POST /InboundEmail/action/testConnection; line: 123, file: /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/espo/vendor/laminas/laminas-mail/src/Protocol/Imap.php [] []

I double verified that the username and passwords are good. I also tested that the server accepts SSL connections on port 993, and that my credentials are good using openssl in the Terminal and it connects just fine.

Why would EspoCRM not be able to connect?

Thanks!
    Last edited by cin; 06-17-2021, 08:14 PM.

Hi there, can't help you with this one.

But I would recommend two troubleshooting:
    (1) try use a different host, one of the more popular one to see if it work
    (2) try without SSL/encryption as a test
    (3) try to use Outlook/Thunderbird to connect with these setting, see if it work, and see if it different in term of setting to what you have between Thunderbird, Outlook (or whatever Mac use)

Comment

Thanks for the help. I did try without encryption and it just gave me "ERROR: (0) cannot login, user or password wrong" but I know the login/pass are good. And I already have that account setup in a mail client and it works fine.

Trying it on a different host is my next step for sure.

Cheers!

Comment

Alright, I finally had the time to install it on my live host. The connection to the IMAP server now works, but only without authentication. SSL and TLS fail exactly the same way.

Do I really need encryption if Espo is running on the same machine as the IMAP server?

How would I go about making it work with SSL?

Comment

• espcrm
          espcrm commented
          Editing a comment
          Logically if it on the same server there is no need to worry about SSL. Security wise I think you would need to protect email from your current Internet provider and any WiFi that is being use. So at the end of the day you want to achieve SSL/encryption somehow otherwise you going to run into security risk.

If it not working it might be a Port issue, see if you open/use the right port. See if there is a HTTPS certificate for your email domain/server and lastly see if it not expire/disable.
      Working...
      X