Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you upgrade to 8.4.1 using CPanel's File Manager?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you upgrade to 8.4.1 using CPanel's File Manager?

I have installed Espo at a hosting provider using Softaculous. Softaculous is supposed to let me know when an upgrade is available. So far it has not offered me the ability to upgrade to 8.4 or 8.4.1 through the Softaculous app.

Questions:
    1) Should I wait until Softaculous provides the ability to update?

2) Should I upgrade it manually through the CPanel?

3) How would I upgrade using CPanel's File Manger?

a) What file should I run the upgrade command from?

b) I saw someone mention trying to do this through the cron jobs (Any thoughts on this method?)

Note: I have another instance of Espo installed on my computer. It is a Bitnami stack installed on a virtual machine running on Debian Linux. I have successfully upgraded this instance several times using this method.

Following is where I installed the "php command.php upgrade" code:
    6) Input: cd /opt/bitnami/espocrm and hit "Enter"
    7) Input: sudo php command.php upgrade -y and hit "Enter"

Would the process of upgrading be similar to what I showed above using the File Manager in CPanel?

My understanding of the File Manager is that it is just a more user friendly way, for those of us that are not coders, to make changes to Linux.

Is that a correct understanding of how the CPanel File Manager works?

I hope this all makes sense.

Thank you in advance for any and all help!
    Last edited by Cuz; 09-28-2024, 11:33 PM.

I don`t know if it is possible in cPanel, as it is in Plesk. There I run a task (which is in the CRON-Job section). I run command.php with the arguments upgrade -y. That is super easy.
    If cPanel has the possibilty to run a CRON Job for one time only (execute immediately) that could work.

Comment

When you use these Auto installer it best to wait for it and update like that. Otherwise you might get hit with a compatibility issue when your server is not ready for the update. That said, I'm speaking from a UI person with limited code skill so if you are more confident you can just upgrade it with CLI method, not CRON. CRON is more of "Schedule", for example: check my email every 5 minutes for new email.

CLI is more of, instead of clicking file manager, you type command, like: open folder, run software, I agree to upgrade.

I post many of my pitfall and learning here:
      Contribute to o-data/EspoCRM-Learning-and-Design development by creating an account on GitHub.

There should be a personal written CLI tutorial somewhere there.

Comment

• shalmaxb
        shalmaxb commented
        Editing a comment
        In Plesk CRON is integrated with general server tasks and handled like a "one time CRON" I do my upgrades there. CRON is just a task with schedule possibilities.

• esforim
        esforim commented
        Editing a comment
        You set up CRON in a future time event? Wouldn't it be safer to just upgrade it and test it a bit right after upgrading?

Thank you both for responding to my question. I will do some more research and check out the link you provided.

I will let you know what I decide to do,

I may just wait for Softaculous to provide the update.

Comment

Working...
      X