Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it better to edit Contacts or to create a new custom entity for my scenario?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it better to edit Contacts or to create a new custom entity for my scenario?

Hello, I am customizing Espo to make a Member Management System for an organization.
    A 'Member' has fields of his own, and he/she has a related Company/Companies (Account) that also have fields of their own like name, address, PO Box, etc...

Knowing that each 'Member' should be able to log in and edit his own info and his own company's info, is it better to customize the Contacts Entity and use it as 'Members', the Users Entity, or is it better to create a custom new Entity called Members to use with Accounts?

Just use Contact and rename it Members. I guess the user is the user managing their own data, so it need to be a Portal User... not sure of a good way
    Last edited by espcrm; 08-29-2023, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Don't rename Contact if you still need CRM.

There's a wrapper entity approach. A custom entity is related one-to-one with Contact. You have your member specific fields in the custom entity.

Comment

• JosNas
        JosNas commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello yuri can you please tell me more what do you mean by Wrapper Entity?

All the meaning is basically in the last two sentences of my previous post.

Contact (standard entity)
      - name
      - email address
      - phone number
      - address

Member (custom entity)
      - contact (link)
      - some field 1
      - some field 2

You preserve the standard functionality of CRM by having Contact that can be either a member or client.
      You don't pollute Contact with member specific fields.

Comment

• JosNas
        JosNas commented
        Editing a comment
        I see your point. Thank you it makes sense.
    Working...
    X