Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Account Detail view: All Opted-Out Phone Numbers in Contacts List Get Crossed-Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Account Detail view: All Opted-Out Phone Numbers in Contacts List Get Crossed-Out

Sometimes our Inside Sales team will mark Contacts at an Account as 'No Longer There' as it's necessary to track who we've had past relationships/rapport with for decision makers. In addition to setting the correct Type, our reps will also mark their contact details as Opted-Out / Invalid, which visibly crosses the field values out, as is native functionality. However, we've run into an issue where the Opt-Out flag will cross-out all instances of a Phone Number on an Account's Contacts List! This is an issue because it's not uncommon for the new Contact to then take the previous person's phone number. But we still want it to show that the previous person is no longer reachable at said-Phone number.

The Opt-Out flag should only cross out the contact details for that specific Contact record, not others where the same Phone number might be used on the same Account.

To Reproduce:
    1. Have 2 distinct Contacts with identical phone numbers under an Account.
    2. Go to either Contact's phone number field, edit it, set it to Opt-Out / Invalid status.
    3. Go back to Account Details view, check the Contacts List. Both numbers will be crossed-out.

EspoCRM v7.2.3
    PHP v7.4.3
    MySQL v8.0.30-0ubuntu0.20.04.2

Not a bug, but by design. Impossible to fix w/o redesigning. Would require doing data migration upon upgrade. Not planned to be changed.

This is a design from the very first version, Will appreciate if such stuff were posted not in the bug reports section, as I'm overwhelmed with v7.2 issues and other things at the moment.
    Last edited by yuri; 09-19-2022, 06:51 PM.

Comment

"Fixing" this will create a new issue, that when one mark a contact's phone number as invalid, it won't mark same phone number in a related portal user, a related account, a lead a contact was converted from. There's no easy solution for this issue. I'd stick with what we have. Considering I have hundreds issues in our TODO list for Espo and the list is growing faster then issues get resolved, we need to concentrate on very important things or no-brainer fixes.
      Last edited by yuri; 09-19-2022, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yuri View Post
        Not a bug, but by design. Impossible to fix w/o redesigning. Would require doing data migration upon upgrade. Not planned to be changed.

This is a design from the very first version, Will appreciate if such stuff were posted not in the bug reports section, as I'm overwhelmed with v7.2 issues and other things at the moment.
        Originally posted by yuri View Post
        "Fixing" this will create a new issue, that when one mark a contact's phone number as invalid, it won't mark same phone number in a related portal user, a related account, a lead a contact was converted from. There's no easy solution for this issue. I'd stick with what we have. Considering I have hundreds issues in our TODO list for Espo and the list is growing faster then issues get resolved, we need to concentrate on very important things or no-brainer fixes.
        Apologies for wasting your time with this!! Absolutely this is very small and insignificant. While I was troubleshooting this I did notice that these values reside in the phone_number table only 1 occurrence per value. I wasn't able to find where it happens at but I presume you then link Contacts to each phone_number.id, this would explain why in my example both Contacts get their phone numbers crossed-out since the single row in phone_number would reflect an opt_out status. Originally I was under the impression the phone numbers were tied to the Contact record itself in the database, which is what made me think this was a bug. I do see now that is of course not the base. Good idea to keep many phone numbers consolidated to their own table for easy referencing & association to other records.

I will just advise my end-users to remove the phone numbers from Contacts that no longer work at their Account.

Comment

Working...
        X