Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what are the absolute minimum fields needed for an entity/table to function?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what are the absolute minimum fields needed for an entity/table to function?

Whenever I set up a new entity/table using the minimal "Base" template, I get a "name" and "description" field (see screenshot) that I don't really need ... but I cannot delete them. Are these fields absolutely necessary?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mark G.; 12-24-2021, 05:27 PM.

You can set a field as 'disabled'. But it wouldn't recommend to disable the 'name' field as it's used for link fields.

Comment

Thanks, Yuri.

So, am I correct in thinking that the name field should always be re-labeled and used to hold the "key" piece of information for any table/entity? ...

e.g. for a lookup table of US ZIP (postal) codes ... the ZIP code?
      e.g. for a lookup table of inventory/stock items ... the item's SKU number?

Comment

Yes. Changing the label is a good idea. It's actual for entities created via Entity Manager. If you create entities manually you can get away w/o the 'name' field.

Comment

It appears that you cannot actually create an entity manually. You have to use/set the "Type" field (Base, Base Plus, etc.)
          Therefore, the "name" field will always be present and cannot be removed.

Comment

Manually is when writing metadata and creating classes manually.

Comment

Working...
            X