Long list of year values

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long list of year values

Hi, I need a long list of years for my detail view. For better understanding, it will be used to select the year a piece of artwork had been created and obviously it should give the possibility to choose from a really wide range of year-values. I don`t think, enum would be appropriate, but how can this be solved?

Hi,
    Did you consider the Date type field for this?

Comment

Yes, but it would not have advantage. In a wide range of values it would be quite impossible to choose by dropdown or alike. Imagine in a date field you want to have the year 1910. Until you clicked through to this date, it would be much better to just insert the date in a text field. If you put in the value directly in a date field, it would be the same as alright in a text field, so no advantage. And this was my conclusion now, that a mere text field is the only appropriate solution.
      Thank you for your attention.

Comment

The date field at the moment kinda sick to be honest, it can only do full date (dd-mm-yyyy), which is understand cause after all it is a "Date".

If you were to use a integer field, it would work when you want to do Filter, don't use varchar though because then it would mess up your filtering ability.

Weakness of it being a field is, you can't easily find the range/year you want that is linked through this, perhaps my best approach is to create a new relationship that allow you to have Many:Many relationship? Then you can have multiple arrangement of range (e.g. year 1900-1910), while as same time a single field value (year 1903)

Comment

Hello,
          with google translate..

i think is better to "categorise/estimate" periode
          louis XV
          neo classic
          as enum or you can do a entity for that and dateStart-dateEnd

then you can just put a text field for year/month in your entity and relate with periode

i have make database for museum.. it's always by periode, day never important... month ...maybe... year it's important and of course periode

Last edited by item; 02-10-2021, 02:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X