Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice on Category field across multiple entities.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on Category field across multiple entities.

Hi, I'm using a category field on Accounts. I want to use the same field across contacts as well.

For example:

Job-Type:
    Wedding
    Portrait
    Event
    Engagement
    Family
    Proposal

As not all contacts have a company, it's beneficial to connect directly to the contact with this category.

At the moment I have the as field 'job type' within the Account entity as a Multi-Enum field.

Rather than set this up as duplicate field inside the Contacts entity, I'd prefer it as one source.

Question:

- Do I create a job type entity and do a many-to-one, many-to-many?

- Can I use a field across multiple entities?

What would you do?

Thank you so much.

G

Hi,
    Well, if you need just only to store the job-type then I think there is no needs to create an additional entity.
    You can use the 'job type' (Multy-enum) field in Account and create the same one for the Contact.
    Also, you can add to Contact a new foreign type field that will show the correspondent field of the related Primary (first in the linked Accounts list) Account 'job type' field. For the Contact 'job type' field you can set dynamic logic so this field will be shown on the layout if the Contact is not related to the Account and Account 'job type' is empty.

If you are using a connection of many-to-many type, then you will not be able to retrieve many sorts of data from the related entity by utilizing Formula, Workflow, etc.. In the other hand when you are using many-to-one connection then each of 'many' can fetch data from the related 'one' w/o any problems.

Comment

• gregstah
      gregstah commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Maximus thank you for your help.
      Wow, ESPO is powerful! As I get to know it better, I'm continually impressed. I really wish there was more detailed documentation and tutorials.
Working...
X