Noob questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob questions

Hi, folks, I am new here, I like what I have seen in Espocrm.

Before I convince the rest of my team to install this system I have some questions and hope you can help me. It's mostly about user rights.

1. Emails

We use Outlook 365, we all hate it, but it's company policy. Obviously Espo can use the "365 Exchange" with POP/SMTP, and there is an addon to somehow sync calendars and contacts. The question is: who can see what?

Let's assume for the moment we have just 3 users, let's call them Kirk, Spock and Scotty. All of them have hooked up their Outlook email accounts to Espo. There is also an email address info@enterprise.com that Kirk and Spock are allowed to see, but not Scotty.

- Now an email comes in to info@ - how can Kirk and Spock see that?

- A customer sends an email to Kirk. As the email address of the sender is assigned to a user of a customer that the whole crew works with, it belongs to the customer file. Will Spock and Scotty see it though it was sent to Kirk?

- A customer sends an email to Spock. This is a special customer, Spock is responsible, and his boss Kirk can see it, but Scotty may not see anything that has do do with this customer. Can this be setup?

- A good-looking female from Planet Bedroom sends a very, very private email to Kirk. That girl is not a customer. There is no file about her. Will only Kirk see the email?

2. External dealers

We have some dealers of our products. I assume we can setup Espo in a way that a dealer can never see any data from other dealers or from our internal activities, just his own stuff.

Some dealers have more than one sales person. Can Espo be setup that these users can both see what the other does so that they can work as a team?

Hello,
    > Now an email comes in to info@ - how can Kirk and Spock see that?

You can create a team and assign Kirk and Spock to this team. Create Group Email Account that will be assigned to the group email address (info@enterprise.com) and assigned to a created team so the only Kirk and Spock will see the received email in info@enterprise.com.

> A customer sends an email to Kirk. As the email address of the sender is assigned to a user of a customer that the whole crew works with, it belongs to the customer file. Will Spock and Scotty see it though it was sent to Kirk?

If the email is sent to the Kirk personal email (not group), only Kirk will be able to read it in his Inbox. Also, to be sure that other users will not see this email, Role should be specified properly. More about Role you can read here https://github.com/espocrm/documenta...-management.md.

> A customer sends an email to Spock. This is a special customer, Spock is responsible, and his boss Kirk can see it, but Scotty may not see anything that has do do with this customer. Can this be setup?

Can be solved with Role.

> A good-looking female from Planet Bedroom sends a very, very private email to Kirk. That girl is not a customer. There is no file about her. Will only Kirk see the email?

Can be solved with Role.

2. Please read about Portal https://github.com/espocrm/documenta...tion/portal.md. I think it is possible to achieve.

Comment

Okay, I think I understand most of that. but there are two more questions:

You wrote:

>> A customer sends an email to Kirk. As the email address of the sender is assigned to a user of a customer that the whole crew works with, it belongs to the customer file. Will Spock and Scotty see it though it was sent to Kirk?

> If the email is sent to the Kirk personal email (not group), only Kirk will be able to read it in his Inbox. Also, to be sure that other users will not see this email, Role should be specified properly. More about Role you can read here https://github.com/espocrm/documenta...-management.md.

So, is it possible vice versa?

1. Mail is sent to a private mail account.
      2. Mail is automatically or manually linked to a lead or account
      3. This mail becomes visible to the team if they look up the lead or account

One question came up about the calendar. We use Outlook, and its calendar has a serious disadvantage that I have to explain.

Let's say you plan webinars for a lot of people. You setup your meeting in Zoom, Gotomeeting etc. and copy the link.

Now you go to Outlook, create a calendar event and paste the link.

Now you want to invite 200 people. Of course, you want to make sure that everyone can only see his invitation, but NOT the email addresses of all people you invite. If the calendar invitation was an email you could easily put all email addresses into the BCC field. But you can't do that in a calendar invitation in Outlook. I asked around, it is really not possible to do this, and that is a big problem if you want to automate things. Now I have to send BCC emails to everyone, and if they reply they want to join I have to take a note of who will join when. Last time I did that was today, twice yesterday, about ten times last week... you see the point, it's a nightmare. So, could Espo help me get rid of this stupid work and send individual invitations to everyone without all email addresses inside? Bonus question: will it work if we still use Outlook as a server?

Comment

Originally posted by Obermumpf View Post
        Now you want to invite 200 people. Of course, you want to make sure that everyone can only see his invitation, but NOT the email addresses of all people you invite. If the calendar invitation was an email you could easily put all email addresses into the BCC field. But you can't do that in a calendar invitation in Outlook. I asked around, it is really not possible to do this, and that is a big problem if you want to automate things. Now I have to send BCC emails to everyone, and if they reply they want to join I have to take a note of who will join when. Last time I did that was today, twice yesterday, about ten times last week... you see the point, it's a nightmare. So, could Espo help me get rid of this stupid work and send individual invitations to everyone without all email addresses inside? Bonus question: will it work if we still use Outlook as a server?
        I'm still playing with the "Meeting Invitation" system so you will need to test it to see how it work.

When I send out my meeting email invitation it seem to be sent on an individual basis per email, rather than one single email with BCC. The bad reason about this is 200 separate email might trigger your email to stop working. Whereas a single 200 BCC email might be more beneficial, then again most spammer use BCC (based on my experience).

Now I'm not sure how easily it is to add 200 people to your "Attendee" first time around might be difficult, but you can use Duplicate Meeting or using the Filter and Check box system to add them.

See this thread about Meeting Invitation, where I learn and explore: https://forum.espocrm.com/forum/gene...7739#post57739

Comment

Hi Obermumpf,
          Sorry for the delayed reply.
          So, is it possible vice versa?
          1. Mail is sent to a private mail account.
          2. Mail is automatically or manually linked to a lead or account
          3. This mail becomes visible to the team if they look up the lead or account
          If the email was fetched to a system by the Personal Email Account IMAP configs, then to let other users see it, you need to assign this email to a team these users belong to and set a proper role to let them read this email (Email -> read "Team"). In this case, the users can view this email in the 'All'.

So, could Espo help me get rid of this stupid work and send individual invitations to everyone without all email addresses inside? Bonus question: will it work if we still use Outlook as a server?
          Sorry, but in the case of the Outlook side meetings I don't know a workaround.

Comment

Working...
          X