Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is new frontend based on Vue.js of interest ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is new frontend based on Vue.js of interest ?

Hey there,

I'm currently refactoring the client of Espo to use Vue.js as the base framework. Actually it's almost a complete rewrote providing the same functionality and look.
    The're alot of reasons why I considered doing this, most likely it's about the ease of development. I added a list of such reasons below.

Now I was wondering - since the implementation of the current client is almost 5 years old - if there is more interest in this project, maybe even official.
    Changing the frontend stack to a modern and popular one would in my opinion lead to more contribution and maybe 3rd party extensions and thus more features.
    Also it makes sure that this beatiful CRM doesn't get lost in time and space because the base frameworks running out of support (which is indeed a considerable scenario).

Please don't get me wrong here: I'm just asking wether there's some interest or not so I can decide about the implementation. When there's not, I'll just develop this as extension.
    Beside the barriers in client development (which is indeed a favor thing, maybe there good reasons not to change e.g. if the core team isn't and won't be familiar with another frameworks) I realy like this CRM and want to contribute back.

Reasons to change to Vue.js
    1. a good less of code
    2. better performance
    3. easier to understand
    4. (maybe) better loading performance since more optimized files
    5. generate developer documentations on the fly by comments (the lack of a complete documentation is currently the biggest downside imo)
    6. supports modern framework and languages (ES2019, TypeScript, etc) out of the box
    There is maybe more to add, but this is my consideration of why I'm doing this.

Thanks in advance for replies and suggestions!

Hi,

> current client is almost 5 years old

I wrote it in 2013. 6 years old.

> better performance

I don't think it will be possible to achieve a significantly better performance with any other framework. It's pretty fast already.

We don't have an interest to migrate to vue or any other framework (especially Angular) at this moment. It will take a huge amount of time to migrate everything (maybe years). And we can end up with vue being outdated and not popular by that moment.
    Last edited by yuri; 08-27-2019, 05:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by yurikuzn View Post
      Hi,

> current client is almost 5 years old

I wrote it in 2013. 6 years old.

> better performance

I don't think it will be possible to achieve a significantly better performance with any other framework. It's pretty fast already.

We don't have an interest to migrate to vue or any other framework (especially Angular) at this moment. It will take a huge amount of time to migrate everything (maybe years). And we can end up with vue being outdated and not popular by that moment.
      Actually you are right in terms of performance, that was a miss-thinking of me.

Also I can understand your concerns. Also, in the end alot of backend decisions are flavours.
      Thanks for your quick reply!

Comment

Working...
      X