Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When creating a task from an email, "Name" is not filled in

Hi all !
    I wrote on Github, but my message was closed without discussion (only the motivation that this is not appropriate). I respect the developers, but I just want to express my opinion and it may be productive, though...

When creating a task from an email, "Name" is not filled in
    When creating a task from an email, it would be logical to fill in the "Name" field in the created task based on the "subject" of the email

The subject line of an email often contains a lot of information that can be used in a task name. It would be much more convenient to correct some of the information already in the subject of the task. Now I have to copy the subject of the letter, paste the text into the task name and edit it further.

Moreover, when creating a "Case", the "Name" field is successfully filled in according to the subject of the e-mail!
    What do you say?​

> only the motivation that this is not appropriate

It's not true. Quote: "It will suppress the current auto-complete."

"Reply to email". Or any custom autocomplete options for task one may use in the system. E.g. we use "Reply to email" in most of times.

Comment

• IgorA100
      IgorA100 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm sorry, the translation is difficult

You can write a before-save script (or workflow) that will fetch the email subject from the related email and add it to the subject or to the description. You could use some placeholder like '$' in the subject, that will be replaced with the email subject. It's 1-2 lines of code.

I remember well that the subject is not pre-filled intentionally. Consider that a lot of businesses use web-forms to allow site visitors to send messages. Different forms send different generic email-subjects (not specified by a sender). Pre-filling subjects for tasks won't be a good option in this case.

Having auto-complete options like "Reply to email", "Schedule meeting" (that would not show up had we prefilled the subject) was the intention.

As an option, we could consider adding an email subject as an autocomplete option.
    Last edited by yuri; 03-09-2023, 01:04 PM.

Comment

• IgorA100
      IgorA100 commented
      Editing a comment
      I figured out where the logic of work can break! Thanks Yuriy for the clarification.
      Making the option to fill in the "name" from the "subject" of the email would be really the best solution!

Administration > Entity Manager > Task > Formula

Paste the following script and save,

Code:
    ifThen(name == '$', name = email.name);
    Then, Administration > Entity Manager > Task > Fields > name.

Add '$' value to options and save.

Now on when you create a task form an email, pick '$' from the name autocomplete. It will be replaced with the email subject.

Comment

• IgorA100
      IgorA100 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes it works but
      The "Name" field is filled only at the time of saving the Task, which is not entirely good, because. I want to add something to the topic or vice versa, delete some words.
Working...
X