Option to disable ICS attachment for meeting and call invitations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Option to disable ICS attachment for meeting and call invitations

The meeting.ics file that is included in meeting and call invitations can be confusing for external users. When opened in Outlook, it only shows the time of the meeting above the calendar view, it does not show the meeting itself in the calendar. Furthermore, when users click 'No Response Required' to close the invite, nothing is added to the Outlook calendar. This could be confusing for external email client users as they may think the meeting has been added to their calendar.

I believe a reason the meeting invite is behaving in this way may be due to turning off the option to respond to the .ics invite (REQUEST vs PUBLISH for the .ics METHOD field), as that requires the reply to be processed somewhere, which has a load of other dependencies such as the user having their email connected to EspoCRM.

Whilst the experience might be different for other email clients, I believe the fact that it doesn't work in Outlook means we should have the option to turn off the .ics file attachment on invitation emails to avoid confusion for external parties. We could then edit the email template to include text to remind the external party to add this to their calendar.

Hello, following up on this, I've found the behaviour only happens in a specific scenario that means this probably isn't really an issue:
    If I am the organiser (e.g. nick@corpdomain.com) of the meeting and I add a Attendee Contact (e.g. nick@hotmail.com) with an email account that is an account in the same Outlook instance as the organiser (so Outlook has mailbox for nick@corpdomain.com and nick@hotmail.com), then the behaviour described above does happen. If the organiser is unrelated to the Attendee Contact, then the .ics file opens as expected.

Comment

Working...
    X