No announcement yet.

A Settings option for any List that is using Categories to show the full-list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Settings option for any List that is using Categories to show the full-list

We just don't need the duplicate folders in the right hand side of List pages with Categories, like Documents.

We use the left-navigation to navigate, and expect the right side to show the content of that Category filter.

Right now it make no sense to the user trying to find Documents quickly. The interface seems to be trying to look like a file server - but the interaction is for data records with attachments, and there's no drag & drop that users would expect with folder icons, so maybe that interface icon is not appropriate.

It would just make more sense for the Categories to work as filters to show all the files within that parent category and all its children - or have a full list when no category filter has yet been selected, so we can have sorted to see the latest files.

I understand existing users may have become used to this slower way of working with documents, and maybe they have time to spare - so perhaps it can be a setting available to those of us that need to work in a different way, and at speed with larger amounts of data.

The best implementation of this sort of navigation I've worked with before is this Wordpress (sorry if it's a swear word here) Admin plugin:

Organize content like posts, pages or WooCommerce products in category folders. Mass content management made easy with Real Category Management!

There's also a dropdown at the top to use different fields as the left navigation filter, so you could perhaps switch between it being Folders / Tasks / or whatever other relationship.

It will be possible in v6.2 to set the mode to expanded by default by customizing metadata.

custom/Espo/Custom/Resources/metadata/clientDefs/Document.json

Code:
    {
        "isExpandedByDefault": true
    }
    But I don't understand the problem since once user switched to the expanded mode it should store the setting within the browser. We've never had an issue that the setting was not stored.

You can also make it expanded by default by changing: https://github.com/espocrm/espocrm/b...egories.js#L51

Comment

• marcusquinn
      marcusquinn commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, I think that's answering another post and discussion we had.

This request post is for the right hand side of these list pages, whereby it would make more sense for the left navigation tree to be a filter of the list on the right, including child categories, and the top-level should be showing the full unfiltered list of document records.

Does that make sense?

I appreciate you have perhaps all become accustomed to the current way and been working with way for a long time, but I hope you'll see value from the user consistent and qualified feedback I'm getting, and at least consider these things as options for us to set in preferences if you somehow wanted to keep the current way for those that liked it for whatever their reasons might be.
Working...
X