Serious weakness in the system - backup/restore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serious weakness in the system - backup/restore

(1) The espocrm, unlike Joomla, does not have a way to shut down the system for backups to be taken. In the current state, any backups taken on this software will be useless on restoration. The reason is that taking a backup with users and crons jobs still active will render the database and installed software to be out of sync. From a business perspective, there could be loss of info between time a backup is started and completed. Any of the table can be out-of-sync. We had requested an System Shutdown feature but i guess it went to deaf ears!!!

(2) The upload folder can be seriously bloated with redundant info as the clean job does not do a good job of cleaning the export and import files. Worse, the system does not allow us immediately purge specific info on-demand. This problem can elevate the backup and restore problem to a serious level.
    Last edited by murugappan; 08-11-2018, 12:46 AM.

> clean job does not do a good job of cleaning the export and import files

Import files are remobed once you remove import log record or revert import.

Export files are removed by cleanup job in 1 month by default. Can be configured.
    Last edited by yuri; 08-11-2018, 06:56 AM.

Comment

I searched to find out whether popular enterprice crms do have shutdown or maintenance mode. Most of them don't.

If we add a checkbox, how lot of forum posts and emails we will get about not working system (due accidentally checked checkbox).

If you are going to do a backup you can disable a web access and running cron by multiple ways. Since normally backup is run in a bash script there is no big difference between setting 'shutdownMode' => true in config.php or adding exit to cron.php file.
      Last edited by yuri; 08-11-2018, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Hi,

Thank you for the update.

A few more questions as our installation folder is bloating. I have told the user to maintain and delete unwanted email and they have done so. Yet the folders under upload/ and upload/thumbs remain bloated. I am guessing that there is a timeframe for each entity after which the clean-up job will remove the entity. Based on this, assumption,

(1) how do i change the default time for each type of entity for the clean-up job to remove?
        (2) Is it possible to provide us options in Administration, similar to rebuild database, to remove and clean-up deleted items in each entity type so that we can do that manually too.
        (3) It will be good to identify the files by type (e.g import, export, email, text, attach, image etc) so that we can go to the folder and remove unwanted files.

The culprit that bloats the installation folder is the upload folder. This is not good for small organizations like use which use hosting service provider. Hosting providers initially say how wonderfully cheap they are but later cut our throats by charging additional on things like disc spaces (sigh!).

I am please to advise that i will be soon writing a review on Espocrm in Tech Review on how impressed we are with the software.

Thank you in advance for answering the above question.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by murugappan; 08-19-2018, 03:13 AM.

Comment

Hi,

In 5.4.0 version.

* Automatic cleaning up deleted records: https://github.com/espocrm/espocrm/issues/1013
          * List of all attachments for admin: https://github.com/espocrm/espocrm/issues/1009

Regarding cleanup config parameters. You can add to data/config.

Example: 'cleanupAttachmentsPeriod' => '10 days'

List of all parameters: https://github.com/espocrm/espocrm/b...leanup.php#L36 . They same as property names.
          Last edited by yuri; 08-19-2018, 05:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X