Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

REAL ESTATE Ext: which usage do you make of the 'location' field?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REAL ESTATE Ext: which usage do you make of the 'location' field?

hi
    i'm trying to set Espo as a booking tool for a group of indy musicians ..
    and to turn the "Real Estate" extension to a "Real Stage" extension ^^

would you like to share your experience please ?

Hi, I would not recommend that, to many differences in terms and partially in organization.
    Try to develop your own entity and use the real estate as a reference to learn.
    Before I really understood espoCRM I made this error, trying to bend real estate into what I wanted (that time it was an app to sell boats). Later I learned, that you can work much better, when diving into it and try to achieve, what you need. espoCRM is very (very!) flexible and I already succeeded in getting so many ideas realized.

Comment

• punkyard
      punkyard commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks shalmaxb, i'm no developper though! but I hear what you say: i've created an entity on the side, but it seems a long process to understand all the links between the entities, and coding the Demands and all ..
      So far, I thought I only had a few things to modify in RealEstate, to turn Properties into Scenes ..

Would you guide me through some web pages to read to improve my skills?

I am not a developer, too. I am a web designer and came to espoCRM, because one of my clients needed something like a database. First I did not see the potential of espoCRM, tried to make the real estate extension doing, what I needed. This was the wrong approach.
    My second encounter started one year ago, when I myself wanted to develop a catalog raisonné for artists, means something with that artist can administrate and document their whole work. From then on I developed all entities by myself, what was lot more adequate, then trying to bend the real estat extension.
    I think it is difficult to recommend some web sources to learn. It is a lot of learning by doing and of course need a little knowledge of web techniques and server/hosting (shared hosting is enough, don`t need a server of your own. many things though I learned during while using espoCRM, trial and error and a lot with the help of this vivid forum, where always one of the developers reads the posts and helps altruistically. I did not come across a forum like this so far and I am very impressed - no cocky members and really helpfull advisors.

In general I recommend to get to know a bit about relational databases, it is important for understanding espoCRM and ists features. It is not always easy, but in relation on what you may achieve, it really is easy. But needs to be prepared to learn.
    And reading solutions here in the forum, asking questions is important, too and will you get forward. But be ready to need some months.

If you are interested to see, what I made with espoCRM, here is a link to my website, where you find a link to my artist`s database: www.kunstservice.net
    The page is in German.

Comment

• punkyard
      punkyard commented
      Editing a comment
      nice!! you give a good outlook with the screenshots - unfortunately, the demo user won't log in, i was curious to see more ^^
      Did you see? the menu displays strangely in the middle of the page

Well, i'm afraid to go there, spending months learning for this one site .. I don't have much to change so far in RealEstate, but I guess I will have to learn anyway .. i'm facing the field displaying according to user permissions ..

I like EspoCRM too, especially the design of it, its clarity. I wish it was all open source and free, like CiviCRM or Suite CRM ^^
      You probably knew a lot about the web as a web designer .. I mostly play percussions and sing ^^

Hi the Demo works again

Comment

shalmaxb manage to go much further than me in term of customization, I think skillwise we probably start out the same level but now he much more daring.

Personally I'm still stuck in the "use what you have and adapt using that", meaning I would go down the route of using the Real Estate extensions and customize from there. In my case I actually just use the R/E extensions (to create meeting location, place of birth, office space/asset) so I didn't need to do very much except add in more fields.

As for the "Location" and "Request", it look like a niffy feature but I don't use that (our email will probably get put on spam list or get restricted by our shared hosting if we try).

At end of the day, you probably have to go with what work until you are willing to either get someone to (pay) help or how far you willing to learn a new skill set (programming). It a bit easier (for me) to do what is possible with the Admin panel or very simple coding that have a solution available.

Comment

• punkyard
        punkyard commented
        Editing a comment
        I guess shalmaxb was a bit teasing then he did a really good job though! Thanks for sharing your experience espcrm, I will surely stick with that motto for a while anyway "dignity, always dignity .. and do what you can" ^^

shalmaxb, will you do a tutorial on video soon? I'll subscribe to your channel, for sure ^^

Comment

• shalmaxb
        shalmaxb commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry, not planned by me.

• punkyard
        punkyard commented
        Editing a comment
        don't be sorry i'm going to dig in your posts here instead ^^
    Working...
    X