Varchar fields not truncating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Varchar fields not truncating

Is it intentional that text entered in varchar field is not saved at all when the text is more than 255 chars? (instead of truncating the rest)
    Same question with import - when I have to import records with varchar fields then the whole record will be not imported when any of the imported varchar fields is over 255 chars in csv.
    Maybe it would be sensible to show a warning and truncate the field instead of not saving/not importing the record.

Yes. It's intentional. It's better to throw an error rather than truncate to avoid losing data. Regarding the import it might be reasonable to inform a user somehow. Unfortunately, at this moment I have very lot of work to do so can't address this in the nearest future.

Comment

Update: In a csv dataset of ca 400 records 19 records had a text field longer than 255 chars. 17 of them were imported AND TRUNCATED. 2 were silently ignored (not only the field but whole record).
      Of these two only one looked a little bit suspicious - contained a lot of strange quotes. (import delimiter is a tab). The other one was absolutely normal text. I am still confused...

Comment

There should be something in the log file.

Comment

Working...
        X