Duplicate the Assigned User field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duplicate the Assigned User field

I have a situation where the Users can have 2 roles: Educator and/or Mentor. Right now they are all in the Users mod.
    I want a way to have another field called Educator that pulls from the User mod.
    I tried to create a new entity and connect to Users via relationship but their is no selection of User for my new Educator field.
    In the end, they both need to display side by side in List View. e.g.

Sally's Educator is Joe and Mentor is Judy
    but for
    Mark his Educator is Alice and His Mentor is Joe

Is this the right way to go about this?

Based on your description, I would create 3 base entities:

"Student", "Educator" and "Mentor" with the following links:

"Student"
    One-to-One link with "Contact"
    One-to-Many link with "Educator"
    One-to-Many link with "Mentor"

"Educator"
    Many-to-One link with "Student" (will be created automatically when you create the Student - Educator link above

"Mentor"
    Many-to-One link with "Student (same as above, will be created automatically)

This will allow you to select the "Educator" and "Mentor" field for your "Student" list layout

I believe that the assignedUser field is a link used internally by Espo to link one record to a specific user for notifications, audit and other purposes, is really not meant to be used to describe a business relationship.
    Last edited by telecastg; 07-25-2020, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Hi telecastg, I never really use One-to-One before, what purpose does this serve here?

Comment

Hi, this way the entities Student, Educator and Mentor have the same attributes and methods of the Contact entity, so you can send email, make calls, etc.

Additionally, a Contact can be a Student, Educator or Mentor at the same time and since they are linked but independent entities they can have multiple fields defined in them and those fields can be easily manipulated using formula or simple coding.
        Last edited by telecastg; 07-27-2020, 02:48 AM.

Comment

Oh thanks telecastg, I agree - I started out with Portal due to the limited use by the Mentors but the client wants everyone to have access to the Calendar/Email/Activities relationships. Users Entity seems to have all the link they needed. I was trying to avoid altering, Espo works so well already! Appreciate the detail. I will give it ago in staging

Comment

• telecastg
            telecastg commented
            Editing a comment
            You're welcome, good luck

• telecastg
            telecastg commented
            Editing a comment
            Forgot to mention that if you want to have the User functionality then make the one-to-one relationship with User not Contact. (User can be a contact also)

Ok, thanks for the update.

Comment

• telecastg
            telecastg commented
            Editing a comment
            Looking forward to see the final implementation
        Working...
        X