Mailchimp and Opted Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mailchimp and Opted Out

Mailchimp sync has an issue where if a contact has multiple email addresses and one of those is unsubscribed from Mailchimp, the contact is opted out from all target lists that sync to MC. Even if they have another email address which IS subscribed in MC.

This is really confusing and users should be aware of it!

Hello Alasdair.
    If you check 'Mark email addresses as Opted Out for Unsubscribed Recipients' in integration settings, opted out email will be mark as opted out in EspoCRM as well.
    But this recipient will be unsubscribe from all Target Lists in EspoCRM, which are connected to MailChimp list is checking
    (application/Espo/Modules/Advanced/Core/MailChimp/Synchronizer.php campaignOptedOutMembers method, row with call unsubscribeRecipientFromEspoLists)

Comment

My point is that if a person has more than one email address which appears in Mailchimp, and they unsubscribe one of them, they as a contact record are opted out from the target list, even though they are still subscribed using a different email address.

Instead they should only be opted out of the synced target list when ALL email addresses are unsubscribed. People do end up subscribing twice to mailing lists etc, so it's important to handle this case. When people change jobs they will usually unsubscribe their old address and subscribe their new one. This causes them to be opted out from marketing even though they have explicitly not requested to be opted out, they are simply changing their email preferences.

I've seen this happen with a number of records ~150 out of a database of 4k contacts.
      Last edited by alasdaircr; 10-19-2017, 09:34 AM.

Comment

As I understand you, you want,
        if we have a new opted out email > find contact > load all not opted out email addresses > request MailChimp > if any address is in List, don't opt out the contact in Target List. If not, opt out this contact.
        Right? (you see, that it will hardly slow the synchronization)

But, if 'Mark email addresses as Opted Out for Unsubscribed Recipients' is not checked, email address will not be opted out. And after Target List exporting, this recipient will be subscribed again

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
          But, if 'Mark email addresses as Opted Out for Unsubscribed Recipients' is not checked, email address will not be opted out. And after Target List exporting, this recipient will be subscribed again
          That's not true. If markEmailsOptedOut is true, then the email_address entity has it's opted_out flag set to true. The entity is opted out from the target list no matter the value of that variable. function unsubscribeRecipientFromEspoList is called every time.

Comment

This is with version 1.26.1

Comment

Email address opted opted out is not the same recipient opted out form target list. This checkbox set opted out for email address

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
                Email address opted opted out is not the same recipient opted out form target list. This checkbox set opted out for email address
                I understand that. You say that in the next sync then the contact will be Opted back into the target list. I'll need to check this, but from my experience this is not the case. I'll report back.
                Last edited by tanya; 10-19-2017, 02:15 PM. Reason: Thanks. Don't forget to comment a call of unsubscribeRecipientFromEspoLists

Comment

• tanya
                  tanya commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks. Don't forget to comment a call of unsubscribeRecipientFromEspoLists
              Working...
              X